Monday 5 January 2015

Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep

One of my resolutions for the new year is to write more random blog posts about things I like or am looking forward to, especially things that aren't fashion related

The first thing in the new year I am looking forward to is Enter Shikari's fifth album, The Mindsweep on the 19th.


The release of tracks from it on YouTube has been a bit of a roller coaster. The first track revealed was a live version of Anaesthetist, which I was lucky enough to hear in person at Reading. My initial impression was that it was kind of dull and too generic, but now that the video is up I'm warming to it more. It won't be a favourite, but it's quintessential Shikari. So I'm getting kind of fed up at the YouTube commenters whining that they've changed (NEWS FLASH: It's not 2007 anymore, guys!).

The next track, The Last Garrison was like a smash in the face when I first heard it, and it grew on me very quickly to the point that I would listen to it three times in a row (which is unusual for me). I still love it a lot as it's great to dance and shout to, plus I've already needed it to get me through the day more times than I care to remember - "heads up and thank fuck you're still alive"!

Never Let Go Of The Microscope is a bit too slow and quiet for me personally, although I like the louder bits near the end. I have a feeling it's one I will probably skip on the album though.

Despite everything, I think Slipshod is my favourite track that I've heard so far. It's just fun to shout along to and I had a good laugh the first time I saw the video. And also upon several rewatchings of it!

I have no idea if this is going to be a great album or not, and I'm trying to not get my expectations too high as I usually end up disappointed. But all the same, I think it'll be a goodie, and I'm already hyped about seeing them next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment